I was bored of the same old meals I was making with ground turkey so I decided to mix it up. I found this recipe and decided to give it a try! It’s fairly easy to make and has lots of flavor!
The original recipe only requires one skillet but I had frozen corn and also I did not have instant rice so I cooked those in separate pans. I guess I like to make things more difficult than they need to be!
I like to use Jennie-O or Simple Truth brands for the ground turkey.
Here is the original recipe!
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 pkg taco seasoning
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup mild salsa
3/4 cup frozen corn
1 cup chopped bell pepper- any color works!
2 cups brown/white rice
1. Brown turkey meat in skillet over medium high heat. Break up turkey into smaller pieces.
2. In a pot, start cooking the rice (if you aren’t using instant). Follow instructions on package. Usually the rice cooks for about 15-20 minutes so start this while browning turkey meat.
3. In another pot, bring frozen corn and water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5-7 minutes. Drain corn.
4. Once meat has browned completely, add taco seasoning, water, salsa, corn, and peppers. Let mix come to a boil.
5. Add in rice and stir. Reduce heat and continue cooking for another 5-10 minutes.
6. Serve in bowls with any toppings you desire. I added Mexican cheese, sour cream, and green onion from my garden.